No type of food can replace smoked food. This is most troublesome for those who have a gas grill but smoking used to be a bit difficult. But today there are many types of smoker boxes available in the market which can be used to give a smoked taste to the food on the gas grill. Here you can learn how to use cast iron smoker box on gas grill.
Learning how to use a smoker box on a gas grill would also be a good idea for those who want the taste without a charcoal grill. All you need is a smoker box with wood or coals that can be lit to reach a deep smoke flavor.
Follow these easy and simple steps for how to use a cast iron smoker box on a gas grill to get great smoky results.
- Start by preheating your favorite gas grill on high heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Fill a cast iron smoker box halfway with wood chips and spread them evenly. Don’t fill the box too full, or it will reduce smoke production.
- You can place the smoker box above or below the cooking grate. The best place to place the smoker box is directly above the gas burner so that it receives adequate heat.
- It will take about 15 minutes for the smoke to come out. As soon as smoke appears, it’s time to turn off the burner and reduce the temperature to about 425˚F or 450˚F.
- Now place the food (meat or vegetables) on the cooking grates, close the lid and let the food cook.
- Make sure the smoker is as close as possible to the box and your food. This will allow the food to absorb more of the smoke and help give the meat amore smoky flavor.
Even if you have a standard gas grill, following this method will result in great flavor that will grace your backyard beef party. The box will be filled with smoldering wood chips that will emit smoke and give the meats at your party a delicious smoky color and flavor.
Here is the article for Best Smoking Wood Chips, you can read it if you want to know which is the best option for you. As well as the Best Smoker Tubes for Pellet Smoker article that can help you find the top smoker box. I would recommend you choose the Char-Broil Cast Iron Smoker Box.
Is It Good to Soak Wood Chips Before Smoking?
Talking about experts on this subject, there is no single opinion in this. In many of our articles you will find that we ask you to invent your own method.
I would not recommend you use soak wood chips. Because I believe you can never get the classic taste of wood smoke with this.
But it’s not at all that I’m stopping you from using sockwoods.
You should experiment with both methods and then decide which one suits you best.
Do smoker boxes work on gas grills?
Getting the right smoker box is a great way to turn your regular gas grill into a full-fledged barbecue smoker. You just need wood chips to use it. When asked if a smoker box works for a gas grill, rest assured that it does.
Should a smoker box have holes in the bottom?
Certainly not, because wood chips are placed in the box for smoking. The wood after burning turns into ash which fills the cooking compartment due to the closed lid of the grill.
If there is a hole in the bottom of the smoker box, the ash will stick to the food and make the food taste bad. Having a hole in the bottom of the smoker box is of no use as the smoke is lighter so it escapes upwards.
Maybe some people think that the smoker will pass through the smoker compartment and get more flavor of the smoke. Friend is not like that.
The top surface of the smoker box has holes, which allow the smoke to escape and impart flavor to your food.
How Long Does Smoke Box to Start Smoking?
If your gas grill is preheated then cast iron smoker box will start smoking in about 10 to 15 minutes.