Why is Beef Jerky So Expensive? – You must have heard that small packet big bang. This responsibility was said about beef jerky. Definitely, beef jerky is one of the best snacks out there, but it costs you more than any other snack.
Gives you a delicious chewy taste even in such a small quantity. Despite the high price, Beef Jerky is a value for money.
You must have seen some cheap jerky at the gas station, which also tastes amazing.
In this article, I will give you an in-depth look at every reason why is beef jerky so expensive. Finally, you’ll get an inside look at what separates our jerky from the more mass-produced jerky manufacturers.
Why is Beef Jerky So Expensive?
Why is beef jerky so expensive? Some of the reasons such as the cost of raw beef, high-quality ingredients, manual processing, time-consuming, and dehydration process.
Beef is an expensive item that we eat in a variety of dishes. The is no competition around him. It takes a lot of energy and time to give the nutrition of beef to you.
Manufacturers of Beef Jerky ensure the high quality of beef so that they understand their challenges in the process of Beef Jerky.
There is no doubt that beef is a fabulous commodity and people love that celebrates the simplicity and authenticity of jerky.
Some beef jerky producers cut their costs because they import beef from other countries and label it in the United States. We believe that if they buy beef from the nearby market, they get good results.
However, most beef jerky producers do not compromise on their quality. Make this high-quality raw beef that’s fresh and never frozen for great beef jerky results.
Beef jerky leanness is related to raw beef, making beef jerky even more expensive. To prevent spoilage, the fat content in beef jerky is 94 to 97% fat-free. Because the fat spoils the beef jerky.
It is more effective to start with a lean cut of beef, rather than trim the fat off the beef during the slicing step.
Beef is an expensive commodity to eat, but it becomes even more expensive when you exclusively sourcing 100% USA beef which is good for producing beef jerky. Beef with added fat can make it rancid hence the need for lean shredded beef jerky which is another reason for it being expensive. The thinner the beef jerky the more precious it.
High Quality Ingredients
The second reason why is beef jerky so expensive that indirectly related to the previous resonance. The high quality of raw materials (meat, spices, marinades, and other inputs) directly affects the quality of the final beef product.
You need to learn enough how to turn superior quality raw material into a better quality end jerky product.
High-quality seasonings to make beef jerky yield a more flavorful, subtle end product. But if you want to make good quality beef jerky, you will need the best quality spices.
The freshness of the beef also plays a big part in the excellent flavor of beef jerky. Jerky dishes enthralled with a mix of delicious spices.
Ultimately, a solid ingredient is what makes the best beef jerky, but all of these ingredients come at a premium cost that contributes to beef jerky value.
Jerky made from the prime rib or filet mignon is a good idea but is probably a more appropriate preparation for this type of premium cut.
Although a white truffle jerky sounds delicious and luxurious, it’s the rarest of ingredients that just might prove to be the best for your special occasion. Beef jerky is excellent for using time with friends in the backyard to remember the utilitarian roots of a delicious, nutritious breakfast.
A high quality beef jerky that requires premium quality ingredients. A premium quality material will increase the cost of beef jerky.
Now another reason why is beef jerky so expensive?
Making beef jerky is one of several processes that are usually more labor-intensive. However, food technology and automated machinery make slicers more precise and efficient than hand cutting which can optimize specific steps of the jerky-making process.
But some tasks are not possible without human touch. One of them is the process of laying marinated jerky on a stainless steel screen.
People love beef jerky which is handmade almost every step of the way. That you are a great way to maintain high quality and preserve tradition. Simply put, things can be done better by hand.
And you know labor is expensive in the United States. Some aspects of beef jerky production requires manual labor which increases the overall cost of the best beef jerky.
The process of cooking and dehydrating beef jerky is a time-consuming one which is another reason why is beef jerky so expensive.
It is an important control point when it comes to nutritious and safe beef jerky that determines both the cooking time and temperature. Beef jerky is smoked in batches in a set amount of time with the best smoker.
Depending on the thickness of the beef and the temperature of the oven, beef jerky can take anywhere from two to six hours to cook.
Cooking beef jerky is a lengthy process and the longer it takes to cook, the more expensive the final jerky product is.
Beef jerky requires a longer cooking time to ensure a fully dehydrated end beef jerky product. The longer it takes to cook the jerky, the more expensive the jerky will be.
The Benefit of the Dehydration Process
Why is beef jerky so expensive? Now we’re on to the most important factor that makes beef the most expensive, the result of the dehydrating and cooking process of the beef.
If you don’t know, know that raw beef contains about 70% to 75% water, which is lost during the cooking process.
The process of removing moisture from raw meat is a key factor in preparing beef jerky, which adds great flavor to your breakfast.
Simply put, 1 pound of jerky requires 3-4 pounds of raw meat, which was reduced in weight by 3 times in the process. You get 1 pound of jerky as the end product, adding the cost of 3 pounds of raw meat that ended up in the cooking process, so jerky is more expensive.
Many manufacturers in the market are filling their jerky products with additives and artificial ingredients in order to avoid their cost and weight loss.
The fact that some manufacturers may pack their recipes with artificial ingredients, additives, and sugar reinforces the importance of checking ingredient statements on your favorite beef jerky.
Raw beef naturally contains 70% to 75% water which is wasted in the dehydration process. Because of this, the price of the product jumps 3 times, then you must have understood why is beef jerky so expensive.
Beef jerky vs Popular Snacks
The beef jerky costs too much itself if we compare it with the primary ingredients of other popular snacks.
|Main Ingredient||Snacks||Price Per Pound|
|Russet Potatoes||Potato chips||$0.75|
Source: Beef Magazine, StLouisFed.org, Statista.com, Ycharts.com
Some Awesome Brands For Best Beef Jerky
If you’re a fan of keto or stuck somewhere where high-protein beef as a quick snack satisfies you, this is the answer to all your questions. Any type of beef jerky can be found wherever you go, from highway rest stops to any number of gourmet shops.
But you have to pay a high price for its great taste. Why is beef jerky so expensive? We have already discussed the above.
The market is flooded with beef jerky brands, but if you want to compare some of the best brands, we’ve found some of the best beef jerky brands below that meet all the GH’s criteria. It is great when you are on plan to tailgating or hiking
B.U.L.K. Beef Jerky Bulk
- BULK Beef Jerky comes with all-natural protein. If you are consuming keto food then it is very beneficial for your health.
- The non-perishable survival meal with minced meat protein bites comes with low-carb, low-calorie lean brisket.
- It is made in the USA from lean cuts of high quality and hand-selected meats. It has a mouth-watering warm taste.
- Sure, this healthy snack that’s great for a keto meal that supports health, gluten-free, MSG-free, nitrate and nitrite-free, low sodium beef jerky.
- Comes with the family pack with 5 lbs pack, great value nutritious food in bulk
Vermont Smoke & Cure Meat Sticks
- You can get 6 grams of protein, 90 calories, 1 gram of carbs, 380 milligrams of sodium per stick.
- It has 100% natural beef and pork which gives the real taste.
- Contains no harmful chemicals such as fillers, MSG, no added sodium nitrites, and no other artificial preservatives.
- This jerky stick has low carbs, low calorie, high protein snacks with paleo-friendly.
Tillamook Country Smoked Beef Jerky
- Honey Glazed Jerky is made from premium beef with premium ingredients. It’s not too salty, not too sweet, it’s the perfect flavored jerky.
- You can get 10 grams of protein per serving with a great smoky flavor. It will be satisfied and active in no time.
- It is also keto-friendly without the added sugar content.
- It contains teriyaki, pepperoni, spicy jalapeno, sweet and spicy, black pepper, and other ingredients.
Jack Link’s Beef Jerky
- Jack Link’s Beef Jerky is great on the way to taste and get more. You’ll get 7 grams of protein and 50 grams of calories per serving and are great for the whole family.
- It is made from 100% beef from lean cuts of premium beef. This protein snack is best to use as breakfast.
- This healthy beef jerky comes with 96% fast-free and contains no added MSG and no added nitrates or nitrites.
- Original Beef Jerky is marinated in a mixture of herbs and spices and slow-cooked in hardwood smoke for a rich flavor.
- This beef jerky ready-to-eat pack requires no refrigeration and is a great way to get protein in your kid’s lunch.
Chef’s Cut Real Smoked Beef Jerky
- People’s Choice Beef Jerky is a family-owned and operated business that has celebrated the past 90 years and 4 generations in Los Angeles, CA.
- Original Slab Jerky Crafts is a Western-inspired, whole-muscle jerky, and each slab is a whole piece of 100% premium US beef.
- This beef jerky has a balanced sweet and spicy flavor that you’ll love. Its flavor profile is the perfect meat snack for your tongue.
- It has the perfect natural energy for camping, backpacking, and hiking and is great for instant activity. Keep it in your drawer as the best energy snack.
- It’s like your homemade savory jerky with outdoor gourmet smoker and the longer you chew, the more flavor you enjoy.
Final Verdict – Why is Beef Jerky so Expensive?
The major reasons why beef jerky is expensive are explained in detail above, see short notice Raw beef, high-quality ingredients, processing method, the time required, dehydration process, and some but none of them. It doesn’t matter that much.
Even if you have the best beef jerky on the market, it can become an expensive habit when, in fact, Beef Jerky is well worth it.
However, within minutes it eliminates the beef jerky which is still a bit pricey when we compare them to other snacks.
Why does beef jerky taste so good?
Of course, beef jerky is very tasty, however, its main ingredient is salt, so it contains a high amount of sodium which enhances the flavor as well as the premium quality seasoning used in it plays an important role.
To summarize the flavor, beef jerky tastes a lot like beef sausage, although it is much heavier in flavor. Its processing and cooking method also goes a long way in enhancing the flavor of beef jerky.
Why is beef jerky so addictive?
The reason we are so addicted to jerky beef. Big brands literally target the parts of our brain that make us crave food. This happens with almost all fast food, not just beef jerky.
Addiction of anything can make us a victim of serious health disease, so definitely eradicate hunger but don’t get addicted.
Why is beef jerky bad for you?
However, beef jerky is a nutritious snack that should be in moderation or else there can be dire consequences.
It also contains a very high sodium source which is a 1-ounce serving that provides about 22% of your daily intake.
Too much sodium can harm your health, including heart health, blood pressure, and risk of stroke. Source: Healthline.com
Why is beef jerky so hard to chew?
Beef jerky is very difficult to chew because it will dry out and dehydrate at some point due to the cooking process. All you have to do is bring the moisture back into the meat so that you can bring it back to your liking.
Why is beef jerky bad for you?
Although beef jerky is an expensive snack, it is very much liked by people, but consuming it in excess is harmful as it is high in sodium. Look up.